FC11: Two Suggestions

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Tue Dec 2 21:47:37 UTC 2008

homburg at tips-Q.com wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:21:07 -0600
> "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At the risk of being a complete apostate, I have ALWAYS
>>
>>> disabled SELinux. Please, no gratuitous lectures. I also
>>> absolutely loathe the rhgb. IMHO, these should all be
>>> install options, enabled by default with an "expert
>>> only" or similar warning.
>>>
>> Re: SELInux? Why do you do so?
>>

> Because it serves no purpose - for me.

That is understandable. But it seems enough people have a purpose for
it, and that is why it is set up the way it is currently. Additional
tuning options would be nice for install, but since I know how to do it
myself after it is installed, I am fine with it. And I am not installing
enough systems to merit a change, otherwise I would use something like
Puppet Master and Cobbler to manage those setting in bulk.

Though, rhgb is.. well nice, makes it feel less complex to the new user,
I like the old style boot better myself. That is an easy thing to
change, and takes 30 seconds to remove and it tends to stay removed even
after updates, so 30 seconds right off the bat after one 'pretty' boot
isn't that bad. That and I also use runlevel 3 on all my linux systems
because I don't have a real need for a GUI, and if I do need one, it is
easier to be web based than console based for me.
>>> This is possibly a business decision because of the
>>> amount of time devoted to Bugzilla by Redhat employees.
>>>
>> How is bugzilla related to this?
>>

> Because Bugzilla causes a considerable consumption of time
> by people on RH's payroll. Some of these issues reduce user
> errors that get reported as bugs incorrectly.

Unless you paid for the access to Bugzilla (I never have, it is free as
far as I can see) then payroll has no roll in this. Redhat has a
slightly different way of support that is paid for, not a free any one
can access this type of system. Bugzilla has no relation to this, in the
manner that the thread is stating.

That is like saying because I help out with MySQL, or help out with
Fedora, I am on Redhats, or the MySQL payroll for the help. It seems
just to be confused on what the support pay is going to.