SANE can't find device if used through VNC - F9

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Dec 2 22:09:16 UTC 2008

redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
>>> Hello,
>> I got a F9 machine that I access through VNC. If I'm at the machine, I can open
>> SANE and scan without any problems. If I, however, do this remotely through VNC,
>>> SANE cannot find my HP scanner.
>> I tried the same using X11 from a Mac and it didn't work either. However, if I
>>> login as root and launch SANE, it works, if finds the scanner and scans.
>>> Any idea how to solve this issue?
>>> Thanks,
>>> EJ
>> Anybody? I'm still searching for an answer on this issue. Still unresolved.
>> EJ
>>

> No suggestions?

When going in remotely, are you logging in as root or as a "normal"
user?  That may have something to do with it.  In the past, some SANE
backends didn't run if you weren't root.  I thought that was fixed, but
it's a possibility.

I have a Canon LIDE at home and it works fine as me or as root.
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -