F10 installs new packages automatically behind your back

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 3 01:18:15 UTC 2008

I just noticed a white popup on the lower right of my screen saying
something like "Updates have been applied" which is odd since I have the
default settings which should not allow automatic updates.  Looking in
/var/log/yum.log I found

Dec 02 19:47:59 Installed: createrepo-0.9.6-3.fc10.noarch
Dec 02 19:47:59 Installed: 1:anaconda-yum-plugins-1.0-3.fc10.noarch
Dec 02 19:48:00 Installed: preupgrade-1.0.0-1.fc10.noarch

Not only did I not specify automatic updates, these are NOT updates -
they weren't installed before, and nothing depends on them.  After
noticing this, I uninstalled them without anything else being removed
with them as dependencies.  A web search shows that this has been seen
before:

I suspect that a lot of people who search for these 3 packages in
yum.log would see this.  I only noticed because I was looking at the
screen at that exact time - but not manually running any package
install/update utility, or even logged in as root.