hand-held device with bar-code reader (UK)

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Wed Dec 3 08:41:22 UTC 2008

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I'm looking to develop a wharehouse style catalog system which will include a
> hand-held device which will include a bar-code reader.
>
> The idea is for the user to scan a bar code containing a serial number, and
> then be able to enter a row letter and bay number to record where the unit
> is.

Why not put a bar code on the bay with the row letter and bay number?

Scan the serial number, scan the bay code, and the position is updated.

> I would like the unit to be able to store this information and then sync to
> the main database when it is in range.  The area being covered is about 4
> acres.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for:
>
> device to use
> platform (presumably linux based not not essential)
> develpment platform

I've developed a system to keep track of our chemicals.

I've used cipherlab 8061 bar code readers with
bluetooth network. They are programmed in C and
talk to the server via TCP/IP over the bluetooth
network. The barcode readers come with WiFi as well,
but no WPA encryption. A development package for
compiling is available (windows only).

The backend is a mysql/apache/php on a CentOS machine.

When a chemist orders a chemical, he fills out a web form
and a serial number is assigned. A mail is sent to the boss
who accepts the order and a mail is sent to the administration
who orders the chemical.

When the chemical is received, the user prints out a small
bar code and attached to the chemical, goes to the chemical
storage room, picks up the bar code readers, logs in by
scanning the bar code on his ID card, scans the bar code on
the chemical and scans the bar code on the shelf where the
chemical is placed.

If another user needs the chemical, he searches the database,
finds the shelf number, scans his ID number, the chemical and
scans a bar code with his room number on the A0 poster
hanging in the chemical store with a map of the laboratory with
bar codes on each room. The data base is updated with the
new position of the chemical.

Quite useful :-)

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Mobile: +45 22 12 53 25
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk