F10 NFS Install Query

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 11:24:37 UTC 2008

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Simon Andrews wrote:
>> John Austin wrote:
>>> I think it probably only needs the documentation updating
>>> to say put the install.img file in an images subdirectory for an NFS
>>> install
>>
>> I disagree.  You shouldn't need to do this - and it make it a right
>> pain if (as I have) you have an i386 and and x86_64 iso in the same
>> nfs directory.  Anaconda can handle this situation and I suspect that
>> not being able to do this through the askmethod route will turn out to
>> be a simple bug.
>
> Chris Lumens of Red Hat indicated in bug 466992 that anacanda can *not*
> handle this situation any more.  The change was intentional.  If you
> have your ISOs in the same location, you can specify the location of
> stage2.img using the stage2= parameter.  It's probably easier to just
> keep different architectures' isos in separate directories (along with
> images/install.img) though.

Except that this is patently untrue as I have upgraded several servers
to F10 doing exactly this, using the F10 netinstall ISO and an NFS
server serving just the DVD isos.  The bug I opened about this has been
closed as NOTABUG.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how this behaviour is better than what we
had before?  Is there a benefit to jumping through these extra hoops
that I'm missing?  I'm honestly willing to be persuaded, but I can't see
any advantage to these extra steps which are being insisted on.

Simon.