Very slow-starting EVDO modem

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 3 18:08:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:47:37 +1030
Tim wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 01:34 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > Somehow, the modem changes its identity after being plugged in for 5
> > minutes.
>
> Is that a delay while the WAN side of the modem syncs up with the ISP?
>
> e.g. With ADSL, it can take a few minutes for some modems to connect up.

Good thought, but no.  It's not syncing up with anything external.  In order to
get it online you have to dial out, just like with an old-fashioned telephone
modem (Hayes and US Robotics and the like).  This is long before we get to that
point because we can't even find the modem until it changes its identity and
sets up the /dev/ttyUSB0 device.