Default BIND setup question

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Dec 4 15:38:49 UTC 2008

I just installed F10 on what will be my new slave DNS server for our
office and I'm a little peeved at the default setup.  The base install
sets BIND up as a local caching-nameserver.  Which I suppose is fine,
except there's no base named.conf provided for setting up BIND as a real
DNS server, not a local caching only one.  That's slightly irritating.
I've had trouble getting borrowed named.conf files working because the
setups are all different (even between F6 and F10 there's a difference
in file locations).

So, what should take no time, is taking forever.  Is there some base
config file handy for setting up a real DNS server on an F10 system?  Or
am I just having to hack the crap out of it? I suppose I can do
system-config-bind, but that seems silly when a simple text file should
be added to make life easier for those who need real DNS servers.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support