Current state of multi-core awareness

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 02:22:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Seann Clark wrote:
> If it is
> multithreaded, like say Apache, then, under load you will see it peg all
> your CPU's/Cores instead of just one. I see this type of behavior on my home
> server, which has quad core dual Xeon's, and when I stress test HTTP all
> eight cores start to peak as the load gets higher.

I don't think apache is multi-threaded. The reason you see all cores
peak under heavy httpd load is that there are multiple apache
processes launched to handle the multiple connections. In fact, even
when not loaded, you will normally see many apache processes waiting
in a pool for incoming connections.