New and Strange output at f9 root login

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Fri Dec 5 08:58:51 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> I am as of this evening getting strange output immediately
> upon login to my f9 system as root. An example follows.
>

> /root/Videos was removed, reassigning VIDEOS to homedir
> [1]	2657
> [2]	2658
> [3]	2661
> [4]	2662
> [5]	2663
> [6]	2664
> [7]	2665
> [8]	2666
> [9]	2667
> [10]	2668
> [11]	2669
> [12]	2670
> [13]	2671
> [14]	2672
> [15]	2673
> [16]	2674
> [17]	2675
>
> The numbers on the right change with each login.  Can anyone explain
> what these numbers are and why they are being display immediately upon
> logging in as root?
>
> Thanks.

/etc/profile has changed to source the files in /etc/profile.d in the
background if $PS1 is not set.  $PS1 is typically not set when a shell
is not interactive, but I suppose it depends on the shell being used
whether that is really the case.  So it would help knowing which shell
is being used.

--
Sjoerd Mullender