hand-held device with bar-code reader (UK)

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 10:19:00 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 08:41:22 Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> > I'm looking to develop a wharehouse style catalog system which will
> > include a hand-held device which will include a bar-code reader.
> >
> > The idea is for the user to scan a bar code containing a serial number,
> > and then be able to enter a row letter and bay number to record where the
> > unit is.
>
> Why not put a bar code on the bay with the row letter and bay number?
>
> Scan the serial number, scan the bay code, and the position is updated.
>
> > I would like the unit to be able to store this information and then sync
> > to the main database when it is in range.  The area being covered is
> > about 4 acres.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions for:
> >
> > device to use
> > platform (presumably linux based not not essential)
> > develpment platform
>
> I've developed a system to keep track of our chemicals.
>
> I've used cipherlab 8061 bar code readers with
> bluetooth network. They are programmed in C and
> talk to the server via TCP/IP over the bluetooth
> network. The barcode readers come with WiFi as well,
> but no WPA encryption. A development package for
> compiling is available (windows only).
>
> The backend is a mysql/apache/php on a CentOS machine.
>
> When a chemist orders a chemical, he fills out a web form
> and a serial number is assigned. A mail is sent to the boss
> who accepts the order and a mail is sent to the administration
> who orders the chemical.
>
> When the chemical is received, the user prints out a small
> bar code and attached to the chemical, goes to the chemical
> storage room, picks up the bar code readers, logs in by
> scanning the bar code on his ID card, scans the bar code on
> the chemical and scans the bar code on the shelf where the
> chemical is placed.
>
> If another user needs the chemical, he searches the database,
> finds the shelf number, scans his ID number, the chemical and
> scans a bar code with his room number on the A0 poster
> hanging in the chemical store with a map of the laboratory with
> bar codes on each room. The data base is updated with the
> new position of the chemical.
>
> Quite useful :-)

Sounds like a great system Mogens, and very similar to what I want.

However, my project involves about 600 bays in a compound to store cars, so I
can't label the bays as you suggest.

I'm looking using a WIFI setup with access points dotted around the fences.
Does anyone have any recommendations for outdoor WIFI access points and data
on what area they cover?

--
Gary Stainburn