How can one turn off automatic updates on F10?

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Fri Dec 5 13:26:51 UTC 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008 11:09:10 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 05 December 2008, Tony Molloy wrote:

OK just got my main machine installed with Fedora 10. This is my first e-mail
from it. ;-)

< snip >
> >> 1. It did NOT setup a root account at all,  and
> >
> >Did for me and I've just done an install. Just can't login to the roo
> > account using the GUI.
>
> I knew about that, but my clue was when it asked me for a root passwd to do
> something, and thinking it was a sudo question I gave it the only passwd
> I'd entered during the whole install, the one I'd setup for my wife's
> account since I intend to let her use it to get her feet wet.  She isn't
> exactly "computer literate", lacking the nearly 35 years experience I have.

You must have entered 2 passwords during the install.

1.   the root password
2.   A local account password ( your wifes )

> And  got the passwd failed message, twice in 2 attempts.  At that point I
> knew I needed to go fix some pretty basic stuff, and rebooted to the single
> mode to setup a few more accounts and passwds.
>
> >> 3. It also did not setup a working non-dhcp network, it didn't even ask
> >> me about networking.  When I looked at ifcfg-eth0, the ONBOOT=no was
> >> still there, even after I'd run system-config-network to set all the
> >> local addresses it needs to work here.
> >
> >Use the askmethod parameter to the anaconda boot. It will then ask you for
> >the static IP info and NetworkManager will set it.
>
> Again, if this is something that must be done, how is a new bee to know
> that?  The install dvd screens did not have a release notes button on the
> lewer left corner as previous versions have had. I thought that was odd
> also.

Yep have to agree totally with you there. It took me several attempts to get
my first install working with static IP address. This should be mentioned on
the initial anaconda screen.

> I also don't believe I found NM or network running when I as single user,
> did a 'system-config-services' to shut off the bluetooth stuff and some
> other nfs related stuffs, resource wasters in a 372 megabyte machine.

In single user mode the network services are not started by default.

Stick with it. It looks like a really good release.

Tony