F10 - No sound on my OQO

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Fri Dec 5 15:12:36 UTC 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008 03:00, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> www.oqo.com
> >>
> >> I have the model 2 without the touchscreen or WiMax.

> >> snd_hda_intel 351124 0
> >> snd_seq_dummy 6660 0
> >> snd_seq_oss 30364 0
> >> snd_seq_midi_event 9600 1 snd_seq_oss
> >> snd_seq 48576 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> >> snd_seq_device 10124 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> >> snd_pcm_oss 42496 0
> >> snd_mixer_oss 16896 1 snd_pcm_oss
> >> snd_pcm 65924 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> >> snd_timer 22024 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> >> snd_page_alloc 11016 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> >> snd_hwdep 10500 1 snd_hda_intel
> >> snd 50616 10
> >> snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_o
> >>ss, snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep soundcore 9416 1 snd

> >> I have 4 of these to be a portable test/demo bed. 3 of them have Centos
> >> 5.2 on them. One has F10. Interesting comparison of what works for
> >> Centos and what with F10. Sound is one of the items working fine with
> >> the Centos installs.

> > Sound not working on F10. See link to alsa-info.sh output below.
> >
> >> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a984f3d7859f7c239c6ecf2cbf5614a1fbdd6c
> >>ff
> >
> > Hi Robert.
> >
> > Would you please run the alsa-info.sh script on one of your Centos 5.2
> > machines, where the sound is working ok. Don't trim anything on your
> > reply, but just add the new link, identifying it as, "Sound working with
> > Centos 5.2. See link to alsa-info.sh output below".
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5d592ffd6dd37b033a165c4c4701651b84d76155
>
> Thank you for your help on this.

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the link above, showing the Centos setup.

Was Fedora 10 a fresh install, or did you upgrade from an earlier version of
Fedora.

I notice that alsa-driver is version 1.0.17, but you have alsa lib 1.0.18rc3,
and alsa-utils 1.0.18. I don't yet have F10 installed to compare, but did you
upgrade the alsa libs, and alsa utils?

You could disable pulseaudio, with a yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio. I
don't think it will change anything regarding the card being detected, but
it's worth a reboot after removing that package just to see.

Also open a terminal, su to root and run, tail -f /var/log/messages, then open
another terminal, and su to root, and run the following commands.
modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
modprobe snd-hda-intel

See for any messages, and if modprobe snd-hda-intel complains.

I can't think of anything else at the mo.

Nigel.