Fedora 10 freezes after a while

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 18:36:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:19 PM, bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:

> hi globe...
>
> you might want to try and download/install the radeonhd driver, and replace
> the radeon in the conf file.
>
> i have f9, and had issues with f9 freezing on my toshiba laptop. downloading
> the radeonhd driver, and replacing the raden driver in the xorg file seems
> to have solved the issue.
>
> you can download the "radeonhd" driver using yum (not sure of the actual
> filename" but check google..)
>
> in the xorg.conf file,
>
> replace
>  Driver "radeon"
> with
>  Driver "radeonhd"
>
> see what happens!!

I don't think it will work. I remember looking at the wiki for them
recently and I believe the radeon HD driver is only for R500 and newer
GPUs[1]. My wife has a Laptop with the 200M chipset which has either a
R300 or R350 with the lockup issue, however, the nomodeset fixed it
for her.

Richard

[1] http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd#head