F9 to F10 upgrade problem

Peter J. Stieber developer at toyon.com
Fri Dec 5 19:17:20 UTC 2008

I have a machine with a old Tyan S2885 MB.  I had the x86_64 version of
Fedora 9 loaded on it.  I boot the machine to run level 3.  I recently
started noticing problems with the video card when I would use startx to
get into GNOME.  Symptoms included stray pixels left set to funny values
when moving windows around...

I stupidly left this graphics card in the machine when I used an x86_64
DVD to upgrade the machine.  The install died after loading
approximately 750 of approximately 900 packages.  It just froze.  I
restarted the install.  It appeared to pick up where it left off by
installing about 150 packages.

After fixing the grub problem I rebooted to find the machine is using a
Fedora 10 kernel, but the majority of the packages on the machine are
for Fedora 9.  When I run you update there are dependency problems due
to the odd configuration.

Is there anything I can do to work around this?

TIA,
Pete