esc and rhgb

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 21:20:18 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 12/5/08, homburg at tips-Q.com <homburg at tips-Q.com> wrote:

> From: homburg at tips-Q.com <homburg at tips-Q.com>
> Subject: Re: esc and rhgb
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:40:05 -0600
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Several people have suggested that you can switch to
> the
> > details when rhgb is running by typing esc. That does
> not
> > work for me. I can hit the details tab but not esc.
> Where
> > have I gone wrong? --
>
> That is what is in the release notes and it didn't work
> for
> me either. One of the first things that I always do with a
> new system is to eliminate the "hidden" and rghb
> from
> grub.conf. I really think that this should be the default.
> Hiding the output on a new install is really
> counter-intuitive - for me. I have never quite understood
> this obsession with a windows-like boot process.

I second this: in fact, I think all the information flying past does have the potential to inform and teach, even the person not initially interested.

> Sometimes I think that the worst enemy of Linux is trying
> to make it too much like Windoze.

Agreed, again! What I hate about Windoze is the few times I have used it has meant: "The program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down". What is the use of this? Similar with some of the graphical messages that come out of PackageKit: this morning, it said "resolving dependencies" and got stuck with an error "Could not resolve dependencies". I prefer yum anyday.

My views.