root in FC 10

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 6 05:46:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 21:02 -0800, Fred Silsbee wrote:
> I've been logging into root for 11.5 tears on Linux alone without
> problems

And others have been logging in as root for umpteen years and causing
themselves considerable problems because of this.  At least one of them
is on this list, and probably still doing it.

> It is dumb to make it impossible for everybody.

It's not impossible, it's *sensibly* made not to do that by default, but
it is reconfigurable for those who want to play russian roulette.

I tend to feel that those who argue strongly for dumb default options
(like making it way too easy for idiots to be root, arguing against
SELinux, arguing against firewalls, etc.), have ulterior motives.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.