Yum errors on rpmfusion in F10: Please help

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sat Dec 6 06:37:01 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 05.12.2008 07:39, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> On 05.12.2008 06:30, Kam Leo wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> See also:
> >> http://rpmfusion.org/FAQ

<snip>
> >[...] I did that already (by hand) before I wrote
> >to the list; didn't help.

<snip>
> [...] you should post the error message that you get now after doing that
> change (which you afaics didn't do yet; but maybe I missed it) --
> without that we can only guess around what might be wrong.

The error message was so similar (just the path name changed) that I
didn't think it necessary.  Again, for those who haven't read the full
thread, ipv6 is entirely shut off on this system so its not that.

Here is more complete data on my problem:

Verifying I have the right rpmfusion packages:

[root at neuron ~]# rpm -qa | fgrep rpmf
rpmfusion-nonfree-release-8-6.noarch
rpmfusion-free-release-8-6.noarch

Demonstration of problem when "mirrorlist" line is upcommented and
"baseurl" line is commented in /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free.repo:

[root at neuron ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-10&arch=i386 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-free. Please verify its path and try again

If I now comment the "mirrorlist" line and uncomment the "baseurl" line
in /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free.repo I get:

[root at neuron ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-free. Please verify its path and try again

I notice the "Trying other mirror."  That seems strange as its now operating
on the baseurl, not the mirrorlist.  Here's the first lines of
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free.repo:

[rpmfusion-free]
name=RPM Fusion for Fedora $releasever - Free
baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
#mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora

Nota bene: I've disabled all the other rpmfusion repos ("enable=0")
except rpmfusion-free so as to keep things simple.

One more piece of data which I just discovered.
If I do a "yum clean all" first I get:

[root at neuron ~]# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Cleaning up Everything
[root at neuron ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/10/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Trying other mirror.
livna
livna/pr
http://fedora.mirrors.tds.net/pub/fedora/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Trying other mirror.
fedora
fedora/p
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-free. Please verify its path and try again
[root at neuron ~]#

I notice similar [Errno 4] messages from the  livna and fedora repos, but they somehow recover!
Why not the rpmfusion repo?

For completeness I now will uncomment "mirrorlist" and comment "baseurl" in
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free.repo and run the same commands:

[root at neuron ~]# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Cleaning up Everything
[root at neuron ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/10/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Trying other mirror.
livna
livna/pr
fedora
fedora/p
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-10&arch=i386 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-free. Please verify its path and try again

Hmm. This time livna failed, retried and succeeded, fedora had no
problem at all, and rpmfusion failed and did not recover.
I'm completely stumped.

Dean