root in FC 10

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Dec 6 15:59:50 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:10:36 +1030
> Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Compared to logging in graphically as root leaves you
>> much more open to security flaws in the graphical systems doing much
>> more than you were doing.
>
> Ah yes, here it is again - GUIS are horribly flawed and
> ridden through with security bugs.
>
> If that is really the case, then no one should be logging into
> any GUI at all for any reason since you'll be exposing your
> own data to all those security kooties waiting to leap out
> of the GUIs on them.

No - GUIs run as root are not as secure. A bug that would be caught
when running as a user may not be caught when running as root. The
more code you have running as root, the greater the chance of
running into problems. Then again, it is a lot easier to shoot
yourself in the foot running as root using the GUI. How may times
have we seen someone on the list that changed permissions, or
deleted the wrong file, and needs help to get the system running again.

Mikkel