root in FC 10

Fred Silsbee fredsilsbee at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 16:10:16 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 12/6/08, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> From: Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
> Subject: Re: root in FC 10
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 3:54 PM
> Fred Silsbee wrote:
> >
> > You don't see it do you! What you are proposing
> would take a
> > massive intricate system to protect people from
> themselves. SELINUX
> > is already a super mess duplicating controls already
> in place and
> > adding to the CPU burden.
> >
> One thing you seem to be missing - this is not only to
> protect new
> user from doing something stupid before they learn, but
> also to
> protect the rest of us from stupid mistakes by others. Or
> would you
> like to see botnets of Linux machines to go with the
> Windows ones?
>
> I can just picture a newbee running as root, and running an
> older
> version of their web browser that has a known exploit, and
> getting
> something nasty installed.
>
> With the profit that can be made from compromised systems,
> it would
> be irresponsible to ship systems with insecure default
> settings.
> After all, we do not want to see Linux systems that are as
> insecure
> as Windows systems are by default. Running as root all the
> tine
> defeats most of the security of a Linux system.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>
> --

You don't see it do you! What you are proposing
would take a massive intricate system to protect people from
 themselves. SELINUX
 is already a super mess duplicating controls already
 in place and
 adding to the CPU burden.

that is why root has its own password

Oregon once had a law prohibiting people pumping gas into their own cars.

People moved to the NEW world to escape the OLD world...for freedom

Let us put warnings on knives: "beware cutting yourself"

replace lawnmower blades with weedeater cord

drive to the pharmacy every time meds are due

pad all steps in case somebody falls down

What can we do for a bunch of angry arrogant little boys off their meds and skateboards learning a little bit about admin and becoming God!

We can pad their rooms so they don't hurt themselves!

Let them take up programming and THAT will put them in their place.

Understanding concepts is the basis for intelligence