(Off Topic ) Open Source: The Model Is Broken ??

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:43:11 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> 1) be ABLE to write good documentation. You yourself acknowledged
>>    good "documenters" are scarce. You're either good at it or you
>>    aren't, it's just like programming or any other complex creative
>>    activity. This is the biggest obstacle, or at least the first thing
>>    that makes the "write it yourself or shut up" useless (at least).
>>
> Actually, my motives where much more subtle (sinister).
>
> I tend to feel that some those wanting more/better documentation don't
> quite realize how difficult producing quality documentation for the
> masses truly is.   So, it is more of "try doing it and maybe you'll gain
> some appreciation for the difficulty".

How does understanding the difficultly help?  And other than the
interactive desktop programs like the office tools, why should 'masses'
need to know all the details?

>> 2) have enough free time, after you've paid mortgage, food and bills,
>>    to start and finish writing a manual. Unless you're _paid_ just to
>>    write that documentation, of course. Even if you're good, it takes
>>    a lot of time and effort to do a good job.
>>

> Which is why there may be a niche market for some company involved
> "support" to include documentation.  But, that would require a business
> plan and a business model....  :-(

There is a well known book publisher covering technical topics with a
bazillion titles, but published books can't keep up with the rate of
change in fedora.  What we need is a way to eliminate most of the need
for local configuration in the same way open source eliminates most of
the need for local programming for common tasks.  That is, have a way
that a configuration that someone has expertly tuned for a particular
purpose can be shared with anyone who needs to do the same kind of work.
Fedora mostly just ships one config file for every program and might do
a little tweaking to match hardware and user choices during
installation.  If there were perhaps a hundred choices instead,
pre-tuned to different usage models, the end user would only need to
know what he wanted to accomplish, not the million variables he had to
change to do it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com