Analog-to-Digital Audio:

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Dec 6 18:39:09 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan:
>>> Turntables are also available. Ironically, a lot of these actually
>>> come with Audacity even though they're marketed for Windows.
>
> Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>> For example:
>> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TTUSB-PB-R&cpc=SCH
>
> I'd be very surprised if any of those plastic turntables were anything
> but utter crap.  But then they're aimed at the MP3/iPod users, where
> audio quality is the least thing on their mind...

Considering the quality of the analog to digital converter most
people are going to be using, it probably would not be much better
using a quality turntable, cartridge, and preamp. The A to D
converter in the sound cards of most computers is not that great.
(Good enough for mp3, but that is about it.)

Mikkel