Virtual DNS questiona and reverse lookup table conflicts

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat Dec 6 23:10:03 UTC 2008

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 13:34:06 -0800,
>>   "Daniel B. Thurman" <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to have a single DNS server support
>>> two different domain names, with each domain
>>> name having it's own forward and reverse lookups?
>>>

>> It is possible for PTR lookups to return different results based on the
>> IP address that the request comes from. I don't use bind and so can't
>> give you advice on how to set this up (assuming that it will solve your
>> problem), but googling for "split horizon" and "bind" should find help
>> in doing that.
>>
> Check out "bind views".

Thanks for the tips.

But the more I think about it, how does bind know which
reverse ip domain name to return?  Domain1 or Domain2?

I am missing the logic behind this.

It matter which domain name is returned because nowadays, there
are email sites that do a reverse ip lookup to ensure that the domain
name matches with the ip address and if they don't match - the email
message is rejected, for example.

Thanks for responding!
Dan