want to prevent people from making mistakes?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Dec 7 03:01:43 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> The lack of a working ksynaptics application is really bugging me right
>> now.
>
> Seriouslly? Fedora is a distribution. They are not the developers of
> ksynaptics. They package wgat the devs release.
>
>> It worked beautifully in F8, but its been broken in F9 and F10 and
>> nobody seems to be interested in doing anything about it.  Is it going
>> to work in F11 ?  Who knows.
>
> Well one would think you know since you have expressed an interest in
> know. If the people who suffer the bugs don't care to know, what hope
> is there for busy packagers?

There are actually 2 reasons ksynaptics doesn't work:
1. SHMConfig in the synaptics driver is disabled by default, for security
reasons.
2. (Once you enable it by writing a custom HAL FDI file, you run into this
one.) The synaptics driver in F10 is too new for ksynaptics to handle.
KSynaptics needs to be updated to support the new API revision.

        Kevin Kofler