Virtual DNS questiona and reverse lookup table conflicts

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Dec 7 17:18:11 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 12:19:11 +0200,
>   Veli-Pekka Kestilä <fedora at guagua.fi> wrote:
>
>> As far as I know you can have only one reverse map for one ip-address.
>> But for the e-mail server it should be enough for you to have one valid
>> forvard reverse pair.
>>

> Reverse maps are just PTR records. You can have more than one PTR record
> for a domain name. Whether requestors will use more than one of them is outside
> of your control.

But also keep in mind that if there are duplicate PTR addresses such as:

1     host1.domain1.com    <--  this is the first match accepted.
1     host1.domain2.com
1     host2.domain1.com
1     host2.domain2.com

The first addressed matched is the one accepted while the rest
of the same addresses are not handled, or so I think.  I noticed
this right away when I used dig or nslookup.

Kind regards,
Dan