Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Dec 7 18:55:22 UTC 2008

> because it gives me a chance
> to try to bust the NUMBER ONE MYTH about Fedora -- that Fedora is "just
> a beta for RHEL"

Well, I suppose he can try to bust the myth all he wants, but
available evidence consistently indicates that Fedora is where
things get beta tested before they appear in redhat. That's
why it is OK that NetworkManager isn't backwards compatible
and doesn't properly support wildly uncommon configurations
like "static IP" :-). That's why it is OK that gdm isn't backwards
compatible and doesn't support wildly uncommon things like
saving your session state. That's why Fedora users got to find
all the fun problems with SELINUX before they dumped it on
paying customers who might have reacted with torches and
pitchforks.

I like having a beta release of redhat - it gives me a place to
test my software to find out what is gonna break in a future
redhat release, that's why I run fedora, but please don't ever
try to convince me fedora isn't primarily a beta for redhat,
there are just too many facts standing in the way.