Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 04:47:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> But you seem to feel it is necessary.  Is the only driving force your
> need?  :-)

For what I personally spend my time on as a package maintainer, yes
'my need' is the only driving force. I am not an altruist.  I am
selfish, I am a liar, a cheat and an all around bad person. I even go
out of my way to kick puppies given the chance.  The packages I've
made a commitment to maintain in Fedora are packages that I have an
interest in using day in and day out.

I'm not going to attempt to speak for anyone else as to whether an
extended maintenence period is necessary or even desirable.  I do not
desire it, and if the period would extended I would not be able to
maintain the packages for that extended period of time and would
require additional co-maintainers who would do that, while I
concentrated testing for the newer releases.

Th only thing I think is necessary is for people who desire something,
to step up and do the bulk of work to make it happen.  I don't think
an extended maintenance period can be sustained on altruist impulses
and wishful thinking.  If enough people can't find strong self-serving
motivations to commit to doing the work day in and day out, then it
just isn't going to be sustainable.

-jef