F-9 to F-10 preupgrade is rather mean

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Dec 8 17:07:08 UTC 2008

I had great difficulty upgrading with preupgrade-cli
on a SCSI machine.
But that is not what I am whinging about.

I noticed that the preupgrade install carefully removed
all F-9 boot material -
not only vmlinuz and initrd, but also the /lib/modules/ files.

This seems a bit excessive to me.
At one stage I replaced the vmlinuz and initrd files,
and the system started without the modules,
but obviously was not very functional.

I always take care when installing a new system
to retain the previous system,
which one can do with the standard installation;
but this does not seem to be possible with preupgrade.