How can I open-with over an NTFS filesystem?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Dec 9 00:49:58 UTC 2008

Dan Thurman wrote:

> I have via Nautilus (Places->)Network, mounted a remote NTFS
> file-system from a Windows Server and it brings up the Nautilus
> Browser showing the contents of the file to be viewed.
>
> What I would like to do is to do a 'tail' on a log file therein which
> is a text-file that has embedded ANSI Color Escape Sequences (ACES)
> (of which tail is the only application that I know of that supports ACES)
> but for some reason or another I simply cannot open the ACES file with
> a custom tail or with any application provided by the items in the
> Open-With menu.
>
> If tried to use 'Open-with: "Text Editor"' (which 'gedit'), I get the
> following error message:
>
> Could not open the file /home/dant/.gvfs/d$ on
> o…ventSink/Logs/Tracker.log
> using the Unicode (UTF-8) character coding.
>
> I tried all sorts of other locales, but nothing I tried seemed to work.
>
> I noted, that gedit had no problems opening a non-ACES log file
> right next to the ACES and it worked. So it seems that ACES
> is a problem with the editors that I have tried.
>
> So, I copied over the ACES file from the NTFS filesystem onto my
> desktop, and tried to open this ACES file with gedit, and it crashed
> quite horribly - and it did however popped up a dialog box saying
> in effect that the file in question was not a text file, but a binary
> file.
>
> The next thing I tried was to open a Gnome terminal window, and
> issue a tail -f Desktop/Tracker.log and no problems, it worked - just
> that I haven't figured out how to do this over the mounted NFTS
> file-system.
>
> So, my question is, with what application can I use, if any, that
> supports
> ACES, preferably with a tail?
>
> Kind regards,
> Dan
Hmm...  with a stroke of luck, I discovered that with wildcards, I
solved my problem
like this:

tail -f $HOME/.gvfs/d*/Prog*/Exch*/Event*/Lo*/Tracker*

I noted, that if I tried to type in the full pathname explicitly, all
bets are off, and
this is where the wild-card (*) came in handy.  I wonder why though,
that I could
not type in the pathname explicitly.  But hey, whatever - it worked!

Kind regards!
Dan