Sprint service smartphone recommendation for F10?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Dec 8 23:21:26 UTC 2008

Max Pyziur wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Per the subject line, would anyone have any recommendations on a
> smartphone under a Sprint plan that smoothly works with F10?
>
> Samsung Instinct?
> The new Palm Centros?
> One of the Blackberries?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz at brama.com

I have a Centro and have used it a lot with both my Nokia N810 and with
my laptop through F9 and F10.

The bluez package has changed a bit on F10, so that I have to manually
make the connection and start the rfcomm process.

So I don't think that basic compatibility has changed in F10, just some
methodologies.

Also, dial-up entries for NetworkManager changed in F9, and I have not
tried to mess with it in F10.

Here is what I do now on 64bit F10:

I used the bluetooth applet to establish a trusted connection the first
time -- then:

$ sudo hcitool scan
    to get the MAC address of my phone for cut and paste.

$ sudo sdptool browse paste_my_mac_address

This shows that on my Centro, dial up networking is on channel 2.

$ sudo rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0 paste_my_mac_address 2

This creates the connection and the device, and runs in the foreground.

In another terminal I can issue an ifup sprint or wvdial sprint, which I
had previously set up using system-config-network to work with
/dev/rfcomm0 as the modem.

For an extended session you may wish to kill Networkmanager so it does
not stomp on you.

CAVEAT EMPTOR:

You may need to purchase a special 'plan' from Sprint to enable dial-up
networking.

NOTE:

Here is my /etc/wvdial.conf as created by system-config-network as a
reference.

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
Baud = 115200