F10 install problems

homburg at tips-Q.com homburg at tips-Q.com
Tue Dec 9 04:12:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 20:26:38 -0500
Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> wrote:

> Hello.
> I was subscribed here back in the F8 days - had to take a
> break for a while.
>
> Well, I dl'ed F10 dvd, netinst, and Live. I tried to boot
> the netinst in a somewhat dated box (no dvd drive), but
> got only a blank screen. I then tried the Live disk -
> same thing.
>
> I had already verified the burns. So, I tried both on a
> newer box - both good.
>
> They *seem* to boot for a few seconds, then stop (no CD
> drive activity). I tried hitting various keys - nothing.
> Perhaps it's interesting that there is a blue-ish line at
> the top of the screen, about 1/3 the width of the screen
> and maybe 10 pixels vertically.
>
> I searched the fedoraproject site - didn't see anything
> about install problems.
>
> What's wrong? (Display hw too old?) What can I do to get
> either to boot?
>
> Here are some details:
> mb: V66M 98121-2 48.A01.021
> cs: (pc100)
> cpu: Intel P3 500/512/100/2.0V
> socket: slot1
> fsb: 100 MHz
> os: Fedora 8
> RAM: 512 Meg
> broadband access

Try "nopat" on the command line. The 2.6.27 kernel is
compiled with x86 PAT support which is an extension to MTRR
and incompatible with older machines. Per kernel docs "Say
N here if you see bootup problems (boot crash, boot hang,
spontaneous reboots) or a non-working video driver."

--
"Neither Lifestyle nor Agenda"
http://www.tips-Q.com