F10: Can't add printer on fresh install

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 9 12:44:21 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008, Schlueri wrote:
>Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 23:16 +0000 schrieb Tim Waugh:
>> On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 12:36 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > I am in this same boat, with an FU8 install, even setting selinux to
>> > permissive doesn't give cups the rights to setup a new printer, it is
>> > still being denied. From the /var/log/cups/error_log:
>> > E [03/Dec/2008:22:22:38 -0500] Pause-Printer: Unauthorized
>> > E [03/Dec/2008:22:23:36 -0500] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>> > E [03/Dec/2008:22:26:58 -0500] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>> > E [03/Dec/2008:22:28:11 -0500] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>>
>> Gene, that sounds like a different bug, one not currently reported.

The effect is the same, cups has no permissions to do the final writes that
would enable the use of this printer.

I ran into essentially the same thing when I went to setup my F10 machine to
use the printer on this one, a share that has worked flawlessly for years,
but now suddenly does not.  Co-incidental to having a drive fail, and
installing the Fedora Unity August 2008 respin of F8 on a fresh drive &
getting all my data back with amanda.

It isn't exactly life and death that it doesn't work as I do have a working
printer.  But the security paranoia that seems to pervade the Fedora camp
since the server hacking incident does seem to have something to do with
this, and whomever installed these so-called security enhancements that are
screwing with our ability to use the hardware we have purchased, surely must
know by now that it is getting under our collective skins, and making this
user who has been a RH-Fedora person since RH5.0, look carefully at other
distros.

>Just to complete my bug report, i have SELinux disabled.

And mine is set permissive ATM.  Zero difference, I still have a printer I
can't use.  One that is about 20x faster than the one it lets me use.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)