Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Tue Dec 9 15:46:54 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 09:49 -0700, stan wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>  but you don't want to do
>> the work to get it there.  In other words, you want to
>> direct the work of those who do the work. Hey, you have a
>> great future in management waiting for you.  :-)
> Pardon, but you probably can relate why I find your tone offensive.

Actually, I can't.  I was offering what I consider to be an
honest statement of the  situation.  It wasn't meant to be
offensive.  Just to offer a differenct perspective on the
issue.  Perhaps you have a negative connotation for
managers.  Any enterprise beyond a certain complexity
requires managers.  They coordinate the moving parts.  They
have a bad rap because most of them are mediocre.  That
doesn't make the manager unnecessary or belittle their
contribution.  Management is essential and the skill to be a
good manager is rare.

>> Now, it is good that you care enough about Fedora to offer
>> suggestions, but if you don't help implement those
>> suggestions you shouldn't be offended or angry if they
>> aren't followed.
> What do you want me to do? To get involved into SELinux, NetworkManager,
> PulseAudio, gnome-session, evolution, ... just to mention a few of the
> packages which I consider to be prematurely integrated into Fedora?

If you have the ability and inclination, certainly get
involved in a package.  But it is not the packages that
drive fedora, it is the packagers.  They are the de facto
managers of this system because they decide what it will
consist of.  If you want to change things, that is the place
to apply yourself.  Become a packager, or just attend the
meetings / conversations that decide the direction fedora
will take and contribute.  Turn your dissatisfaction into
impetus for change.  You are already doing that by
complaining here, but it would be more effective to do it as
part of the organization.