Fedora Architecture Questions

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Tue Dec 9 21:25:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 08:41:19AM -0800, Michael Peterson wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> This is my first post so please ignore the formatting. I have server questions about the Fedora 10 architecture that I will list below this message. I am need to present a brief presentation to my Operating Systems class involving various components of the OS. I have spent the past few days researching the web including multiple Fedora project websites and online databases and found nothing. If anyone is able to give me some simple answers or even relevant information or sources would be wonderful.
>
> -CPU Scheduling algorithms used by Fedora
> -Techniques used by Fedora for message passing between process/threads
> -Techniques for Shared Memory
> -Process Synchronization techniques supported by Fedora
> -Methods of dealing with deadlocks
> -What languages was used to design the OS
> -What API do application developers uses (is it posix)
> -Implementation structure (modular, layered...)

None of these are topics for a "brief" presentation!

However, the obvous trick question does have an answer.  Since "Linus
Torvalds was born in Helsinki, Finland," the language for the initial
design of Linux was Finnish.  The choice of programming languages reflects
him being named after Linus Pauling and Pauling's (the American Nobel
Prize-winning chemist) beliefs that vitamin C in large (gram) doses was
good for you ;-).

Also most MPI application programmers use the MPI API and Fortran where
the Fortran may or may not be POSIX Fortran 77.

To my knowledge Open GL is not a posix standard but is a common
API used by graphics folk that need some additional API support
beyond the X11 API as suplimented by Gnome.  See glxgears.

One very important release process synchronization tool is GIT.
Mail threads are supported by numerous tools like mutt.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?