Fedora 10 ctf-alt-F2

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Dec 10 15:28:35 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Since I moved from Fedora 7 to Fedora 10, I lost the functionality of
>> the ctl-alt-Fx in a X session.
>> In text mode every works fine, but from a X session, it breaks jsut the
>> session.
>>
>> thank for your help.
> Hmm. switching to virtual consoles tty2 through tty6 works for me
> using the keyboard shortcuts.
>
> in F10  runlevel 5  the X session now starts on the first virtual
> terminal which is mapped to ALT-CTRL-F1 but the second virtual
> terminal at ALT-CTRL-F2 should still exist as a console login.
> run this command: ps aux |grep mingetty
> you should see mingetty running on tty2 through tty6   by default if
> you started in runlevel 5.
>
> Each running mingetty instance should provide a login prompt

I have two machines - F8 and F10.

On the F8 machine, my main X session is on Ctrl-Alt-F7, as expected.
However, my wife has an X session running on Ctrl-Alt-F9, which she got
via "Switch User".  We have been going back and forth like that for weeks.

On my F10 machine, my main X session is on Ctrl-Alt-F1, as expected.
However, Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or "switch user") bring me to a console login.
Trying to "startx" tells me that "Server is already active for display
0" and recommends deleting the /tmp/.X-lock file.  I don't want to do
that and disable my main session; I want a second X session as another
user.  Any of the Ctrl-Alt-Fn combinations don't seem to help here.

Is this no longer possible in F10?  The upgrade of my home desktop
depends upon this functionality.

 -Don