asus w5f Intel sound on Fedora 10

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Dec 10 15:55:23 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 21:56, sfilippo wrote:
> Taken out alsa-plugins-pulseaudio from a fresh install, no luck. This is
> the output:
>
> root at localhost [1] ~]# cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0xfeb38000 irq 16
> [root at localhost [2] ~]# grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
> Codec: Motorola Si3054

Hi Salvatore.

I think that the problem is with the codec, which is for a sound component on
a modem. There are some problematic drivers that insist on grabbing card0,
and as the actual soundcard uses card0, the soundcard is not able to be
initiated.

You could check this out on your FC 7 install. In a terminal type as below,
and you should see a different codec listed, which is the actual one for the
soundcard, and would be why sounds are working on FC7, and earlier. If that
is so, we now need to stop the Motorola one grabbing card0.

grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*

The easiest thing to try is to add a line to /etc/modprobe.conf, if it exists.
If modprobe.conf doesn't exist on F10, create the file, and add a line like
the example below.

options snd-usb-audio index=-2

You'll need to change "snd-usb-audio" for the driver that is for this modem.
The -2 means that instead of the driver grabbing card0, it will use any other
slot available, apart from card0, thereby allowing the actual soundcard to
use card0.

Type /sbin/lsmod in a terminal, and see if you can see the module for this
modem. It will probably have an "m" at the end of it's name. If you can
identify it, exchange snd-usb-audio on the example line above with the one
you think is correct. Next, pray, and then reboot, and see if the sounds work
on F10.

Would you post me the full output from running /sbin/lsmod. It may help me if
this problem shows up in the future on someone else's machine.

Also would you say if /etc/modprobe.conf exists on a fresh install of F10, or
whether you have had to create the file.

All the best.

Nigel.