F10: Can't add printer on fresh install

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Thu Dec 11 00:00:10 UTC 2008

kanato wrote:
> I'm having this same problem.  I just installed 64 bit Fedora 10 and I can't add a printer, either through system-config-printer or http://localhost:631/. [1]  I've gone through the troubleshooter in system-config-printer and it connects to the network server and finds the printers.
>
> Can someone who fixed this problem by replacing their /etc/cups/cupsd.conf post this file?  I don't have access to a working fc8 machine that I can copy it from.  I need to print from this machine, so if I can't fix this issue I will have to dump Fedora.

I don't know if this will help, and if you still want my
cupsd.conf, post back.

I had installed F10 x86_64 last week.  When I went to print,
the printer it had set up didn't work (hplip something).  So
I went into System->Administration->Printers.  I selected
New.  It gave a list of devices I could use.  I selected my
printer from the list.  It then gave me a list of drivers
for my printer and I chose the recommended foomatic one and
everything worked after that.  Why it didn't do that
automatically, I don't know, but it works now.  I deleted
the originally assigned printer.