Getting actual source for a kernel

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Dec 11 01:15:28 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 07:24:28PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:10:44 -0500
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>
>>> Please read this entire question before giving me the obvious answer...
>> This obvious answer?
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
>>
>> If you do just rpmbuild -bp, you'll get a kernel source tree
>> with all the patches applied over in the BUILD subdir.
>
> By the way, if you find something unclear in that document, please
> bring it to our attention and we'll see about clarifying it.

Thanks, it seems I'm not going to be able to just get the source with rpm2cpio,
apply the patches, and do the build where I have disk space. I'll do it the hard
way and actually install the source by unpacking the RPM after I find a machine
with space where the package wants to unpack. I don't normally leave space in
/usr/src, since I run kernel.org kernels which I can build in a development space.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>