Analog-to-Digital Audio:

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Dec 11 19:03:25 UTC 2008

Jeff Maxwell wrote:
>         I am in need of a way to process an analog stereo input device
>         digital.
>
>         I basically have old cassettes and reel-to-reels that I would
>         like to
>         convert to digital.
>
>         I do have an old CD recorder that I have been using but it has
>         started
>         to have issues not being able to read the CDs I insert.
>
>         I would think the better method would be some way to connect the
>         audio
>         output of the cassette/reel-to-reel device to the input of my
>         sound card
>         and do some type of capture.
>
>         Has anyone had any success at this and how do handle 2 rca type
>         outputs
>         from the analog to the single sound card input?
>
>         Thanks.

You have had a lot of advice on hardware and software, I'll just add that the
quality of the result is limited by the worst hardware in the chain. So unless
you are going to buy new hardware to play the old cassettes and reel-to-reel, or
the r2r is half inch tape recorded in a studio with top equipment, you will
probably not lose a lot by using a decent sound card as the A-D conversion.

For two channel input I have used "rec" from the sox package, and left every
ugly thing in the first recording for removal after the fact. Then you can use
various tools to remove noise, boost quiet segments, etc. Some of the stuff on
tape may be compressed (Dolby or similar), that's good, you can expand it later
and it help signal to noise.

You might want to record once and use the level check in sox to tell you how
much you can boost gain without clipping. Then record again at higher gain.
Remember that if you have loud clicks and pops, you can boost gain and let them
clip, fidelity is not an issue there.

Finally, for records, there is a USB connected turntable I just saw advertised,
I think it was about $200, which is sort of borderline between consumer and
audiophile pricing. If you have a decent table and preamp probably not needed.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>