Solar burn-in!

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200812 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 02:49:07 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> writes:
> Not only are LCDs not supposed to have a
> burn-in problem, but fedora 10's "solar" background isn't
> on my screen any longer than it takes me to login after
> booting the system, yet somehow when I have a vast expanse
> of moderately dark blue background on the screen, I can seen
> faint burn-in that looks just like the loops and whorls of the
> solar background.

Samsung seems to think LCD's *do* have a burn-in problem.  They feel
strongly enough about this that they exclude burn-in damage from their
warranty.  (Noticed in the non-instruction book with a Syncmaster
305T.)

Their instructions for reducing the effects of burn-in damage is to
cycle the display through the 3 primary colors till the damage is no
longer noticeable.

As a hack, I'd try to run "xsetroot -solid [red|green|blue]" in a
continuous loop pausing for, say, a minute so as to not drive the
console user too crazy.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.