f9: Have sound with Gnome, not with TWM.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 12 15:10:04 UTC 2008

I wrote:
> Well, there are 2 issues here:
> 1. PulseAudio in F9 is set up using a special hack using PulseAudio's ESD
> compatibility in GNOME and the kde-settings-pulseaudio hack in KDE, it
> won't work in any other desktop.
> 2. In F10, it finally uses the freedesktop.org-compliant
> /etc/xdg/autostart, but TWM won't interpret that, in fact I doubt TWM
> supports *any* sort of autostarting. It's time to migrate to a real
> desktop environment which actually understands modern (and already several
> years old) freedesktop.org standards. TWM is useful as an emergency
> fallback if you broke all your desktop environments, but that's about it.

Oh and I forgot:
3. Device permissions are given out by ConsoleKit (or by HAL, but that also
uses ConsoleKit to decide whom to give them out to) these days, and that
has been reported to only work properly when using GDM or KDM (other
displaymanagers are known not to support it), not startx. (Console logins
are supposed to get registered too, but either that doesn't work or it
doesn't work with startx.) That affects both PulseAudio and direct hardware
access. If you want to get working access to sound and other hardware
devices, launch your TWM from KDM or GDM, not startx. (But that still
doesn't solve the problem of PulseAudio not getting started.)

        Kevin Kofler