Second try: Clarification of statement about stateless sytem]

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 17:20:57 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I tried once and got no response so I am trying again. It is strange
> that people understand all such obscure things but can't explain one of
> the many gobbledygook statements made in the release notes.
>
> In section 2.2.6 of the F10 release notes is the following statement:
>
> Support for keeping a persistent /home with the rest of the system
> stateless has been added for Fedora 10.
>
> I don't understand that statement? Could someone explain it, especially
> the meaning of the words persistent and stateless in that context.
> --
> Blessed be those who initiate lively discussions with the hopelessly
> mute, for they shall be known as Dentists.
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

My (possibly confused) understanding,

Stateless: After installation, the system will run without modifying any
  files. It could be installed on a CD-ROM or other read only storage.

Persistent /home: /home can be installed on writable storage (in
combination with a read-only /).

All this is for a live-cd that has a writable /home.

Regards,

John