Second try: Clarification of statement about stateless sytem]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:22:50 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I tried once and got no response so I am trying again. It is strange
> that people understand all such obscure things but can't explain one of
> the many gobbledygook statements made in the release notes.
>
> In section 2.2.6 of the F10 release notes is the following statement:
>
> Support for keeping a persistent /home with the rest of the system
> stateless has been added for Fedora 10.
>
> I don't understand that statement? Could someone explain it, especially
> the meaning of the words persistent and stateless in that context.

Since nobody else is answering, I'll take a guess...  Stateless should
mean that the OS could be installed/updated on the fly during bootup,
whether done as a PXE boot into RAM or copied/cached on the local hard
disk. There once was a 'stateless' linux project but I'm not sure if
this is a specific reference or if anyone is still working on that.
Anyway, the idea is that you can have a group of client computers with
no maintenance or installation for the OS but the /home directories are
saved across reboots, either on a local drive or nfs-mounted from a server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com