OT: your desktop on a stick

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Dec 12 17:56:27 UTC 2008

On Friday 12 December 2008 17:14:35 Frank Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Much has been said about the ability for a linux distro to be carried
> > around on a usb stick, making any computer into your familiar desktop.
> > Does anyone actually do this?
>
> I have F9 on a 4gb usb stick. (not-live installed to)
> As long as the Box is usb-bootable there's no problem so far.
> Have used it at school and home.

My F9 was a live install - I'll not do it that way again, as it introduces
complications better avoided, IMO.  However, watching F9 attempt to run I saw
some very long pauses as before, and maybe some clue as to the problem.  I saw
that it said it was running an eeepc kernel.  Maybe both F9 and Mandriva were
set up with kernels specific to the eeepc?

F9 did actually manage to bring up a desktop eventually, so I thought I would
try updating, to get a newer kernel.  It ran into the problem of the repos and
signatures being changed.  No matter.  I'll attach a usb drive and do a clean
install when I have time.  Maybe I'll even try installing onto the stick from
this laptop, to see whether that can handle the change in hardware.

Hmmm....

Anne