Why was this dbus disaster released mid-release?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 13 03:15:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 12 December 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>>>
>>> He's aware.. he's apologized publicly in the -devel-list.
>>
>>   in a world where people are simply used to windows crashing and
>> burning on a regular basis, it's amusing to see the consternation in
>> the linux community when one bad package escapes into the wild.
>>
>>   man, some of you folks have gotten spoiled.
>
>Sorry to destroy your illusions, but I work with hundreds of windows
>servers that stay up for years with only a few scheduled reboots.
>Before (say) Win2k SP2 you might have been able to make a point about
>this.  Today you can't.

Heck Les, that was even true of W95, with one exception, you had to reboot it
every 48 days or the tick counter rolled over and it went face down in the
deep end.  W-95 itself was stable, and so was that old server version of
AP-NewsDesk.  If a newsie can crash a windows box, they will (I think they
teach that as a requisite in journalism schools), and they can invent some
very creative ways to crash and burn the boxes under their desks, but the
central server?  The only reboots were every 45 days, and we changed the
postit on the box for the next date each time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)