Question about enabling a few services.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sat Dec 13 23:28:05 UTC 2008

The following are disabled on my system and my stoopid question of the day
is whether they should be enabled or not. (Obviously I'm not sure what to
tell you to make much of a comment, but I'm hoping that maybe some of them
are just plain innocuous and should be enabled for everyone.)

* dnsmasq (Will this speed me up?)

* multipathd (No idea)

* netconsole (I'm guessing no because there is not remote syslogd
accessing my box)

* Should I be enabling both network and NetworkManager or should I only
have one or the other. Currenty they're both on. Two NICS, one dhcp to my
cable modem and the other with a hard address to another 'puter.

* pcscd (I don't have a PC/SC lite and Musclecard frameworks that I know
of)

* psacct (Is this good to have?)

* smolt (Same thing. Is this A Good Thing?)

* squid (Would this somehow speed up my browser?)

I come from the old school that says to disable everything you don't need,
but I'm not sure what these things do.

TIA

steveo at syslang.net