NetworkManager and OpenVPN

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sun Dec 14 00:18:18 UTC 2008

On 12/13/2008 03:29:06 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 15:08 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > I'm unable to communicate locally on my very small -:) local
> network.
> >
> > There's a laptop with wired (192.168.10.2) and wireless
> (192.168.10.3)
> > connected to a NetGear router (192.168.10.1). As a consequence of
> these
> > two connections, I got NetworkManager when I installed F10. There
> have
> > been problems with NM in the past, but the setup seems to work
> fine.
> >
> > I'm attempting to add another system with a wireless connection.
> (As
>
> > 192.168.10.4) I was able to ping the new connection, but I couldn't
> get
> > beyond that.
> >
> > Same problems talking _locally_, viz:
> >
> > # telnet 127.0.0.1
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> >
> > /var/log/messages:
> > Dec 13 14:59:25 mtranch ntpd[30481]: no servers reachable
> > Dec 13 14:59:53 mtranch ntpd[30481]: synchronized to 66.96.98.9,
> > stratum 2
> > Dec 13 14:59:53 mtranch ntpd[30481]: time reset -0.336061 s
> > Dec 13 15:01:00 mtranch avahi-daemon[2364]: Joining mDNS multicast
> > group on interface wlan0.IPv4 with address 192.168.10.3.
> > Dec 13 15:01:00 mtranch avahi-daemon[2364]: IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP
> failed:
> > No buffer space available
> >
> > [nothing new from dmesg]
> >
> > This would all seem to point to OpenVPN, added because NM needs it.
> > Unfortunately F10 has v2.1 of OpenVPN and the doc that covers
> setting
> > up configuration (none supplied by the RPM) refers to v2.0 and
> mentions
> > key files that are not included in 2.1
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Other than rpm -e
> > NetworkManager?
> ----
> lots of disconnected things here...
>
> telnet fails to connect probably because Fedora never installs telnet
> server by default - use ssh for that.
>
> seems as though ntpd reached the server (looks like a clock.redhat
> type
> address)
>
> avahi is for multicast and you probably don't need that so for now
> ignore it.
>
> openvpn for network manager, I'm assuming is an extension to allow
> you
> to use network manager to up/down VPN connections as a user which
> makes
> sense but isn't at all related to what you are trying to do.
>
> network manager is the desired product for most if not all wireless
> network connection management so don't remove it.
>
> If you can ping back and forth, between the two machines, what
> exactly

Sigh! So much for my careful attempts to diagnose my problems!

So, here's what I'm trying to do. I've set up a second box with a
wireless connection to my router. I can ping back and fourth. What I
want in the end is an NFS mount over the wireless connect. Is there an
incremental testing procedure (not telnet apparently!) or do I just
need to go and attempt to configure NFS?

Thanks.