OT: your desktop on a stick

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 02:23:11 UTC 2008

Phil Meyer wrote:

> Anne Wilson wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Yes, done this a lot.
>>>
>>> Current best method is to roll a livecd will my favorite apps, a package
>>> containing my login (adds me to sudoers as well).
>>>
>>> Then convert the iso to a usb bootable livecd on a stick.  During this,
>>> I add a system overlay, and a /home overlay.
>>>
>>> My current thumb drive is a 64GB DataTraveler.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> The best part of all, is that its installable to disk, as well.  What
>>> else could you ask for? :)
>>>

>> Wow! that sounds great :-)  However, mine is 8GB only.
>>
>> Anne
>>

> 8GB is fine, even for my outrageous custom build, which is over 7GB
> unpacked.
>
>  -> ls -lh LiveOS
> total 3.0G
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7.9G 2008-12-10 14:22 home.img
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root  20K 2008-12-10 14:19 osmin.img*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.0G 2008-12-10 14:19
> overlay-Fedora-x86_64-9d595a3a-4b1e-40c7-b16d-3da0f21f698e
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2.5G 2008-12-10 14:19 squashfs.img*
>

> You can see, that with less agressive overlays, this would easily fit on
> 8GB.  The stuff that makes it bootable is only 7.6MB.
>
> If you would like to see the stuff I used to make that livecd, I would
> be happy to share.
>
> Fun!

Phil,

I would take you up on the sharing. I assume you used a kickstart file
to set up the custom spin. How did you set the root password for it,
how did you set yourself up as a user and how did you set up the sudo
capability? I've looked at the standard Fedora LiveCD kickstart files
but I'm not sure how to do those things.

Would be grateful for comments/help.

Thanks,

Alex