f9 without pulseaudio.

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 09:20:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Reg Clemens <reg at dwf.com> wrote:
> I keep reading comments on this list that one can remove pulseaudio
> from f9 and it will run like a normal alsa system.
>
> I have removed
>        alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>    and libflashsupport
>
> from my f9 system, rebooted.
> Sound in Flash in Firefox works just fine, but aplay doesn't.
> If aplay doesn't work I wonder about mplayer, totem, and the other sound
> producing programs that I havent tested.
>
> So, is there anything else I should be removing to get back to
> 'just alsa' ????
>
> I would really like to understand what is going on here.

It was very easy for me, here is the relevant portion of my yum.log
from when i removed it:
Sep 20 02:09:44 Erased: alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
Sep 20 02:09:44 Erased: pulseaudio-module-x11
Sep 20 02:09:44 Erased: pulseaudio
Sep 20 02:09:49 Erased: pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
Sep 20 02:09:49 Erased: pulseaudio-module-gconf
Sep 20 02:09:50 Erased: kde-settings-pulseaudio
Sep 20 02:09:50 Erased: pulseaudio-esound-compat

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )