problem with grub? mounting local file system (failed)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Dec 14 15:53:53 UTC 2008

clarice oshea wrote:
> had to reinstall my microsoft OS on a dual boot system
>
> MS OS on scsi drive 0
> Fedora 9 on scsi drive 1
>
> I did the usual procedure to reinstall grub
>
> rescue disk
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> .  .  .  .
>
> grub> find   /grub/grub.conf
> (hd1,0)                                        looked suspicious

This would be the second drive, first partition. That sounds correct
for your setup.

> grub>root   (hd1,0)
>
> grub>setup (hd1)
>
> no errors but something was put on hd1 I'll bet
>
> did this 2-3 times and no dual boot
>
> then I did
>
> grub>setup (hd0) and that worked

You finely put the Grub boot loader in the MBR of the boot drive.
Remember, you boot from hd0, not hd1.

> I have the dual boot working but in the startup messages
>
> mounting local file systems FAILED (in red)
>
> everything works OK though
>

> Is there a way to repair the damage?
>
> A second reboot showed the same error on boot

Check your /etc/fstab, and compare it to the output of the mount
command to see what filesystem did not get mounted. Without knowing
what filesystem is giving you trouble, we can not help you fix it.

Mikkel