FC10 stops at Grub> prompt after install

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Dec 14 17:32:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 07:52:26 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
	[....]
> This can happen when the BIOS's view of the drives (seen by grub while
> booting) doesn't match the kernel's view (seen by grub when installing).
>
> Try booting the rescue disc and performing these steps:

	Finally got around to this today. It worked; many many thanks! I
had to mess around a while in some places -- perhaps because I've only
been running linux since RH7; I got two or three books with media for
RH6, but could never manage to install it ....

> (1) Run: grub --device-map=/tmp/drivemap
> (2) Exit from grub.

	For us hoi polloi, you might want to mention using "quit" instead
of "exit."

> (3) Edit /tmp/drivemap to reverse the mapping of drives that are "seen"

	I chewed a while on that, too. Finally decided to start with
switching the sda and hda locations -- luckily.

> (4) Re-run: grub --device-map=/tmp/drivemap

	Chewed some more, before I realized I had to go through the
chroot routine; I had never realized you could invoke grub as a command
on a booted and running machine -- d'uhhh ....

> (5) Re-install grub, i.e.,
> by following steps 2-5 from this article [0] (It doesn't hurt to install
> the boot code on both drives in step 5 just in case, i.e., setup hd(0)
> followed by setup hd(1) -- both will point to the partition you
> identified with root(hdX,Y). The bios will usually boot from what it
> sees as hd(0) but there are exceptions).

	The machine in need had only one hard drive; so I skipped the
second half.

> (It is possible to access this functionality through anaconda, too --
> there's a checkbox that lets you see "Extended GRUB options" or
> something like that on the bootloader screen).

	How do you get into anaconda -- is there a way without a rescue
disk?

> Let us know how it goes--

> [0] http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/158-.html

	Hadn't ever heard of dailypackage; many thanks! Heavy stuff, at
least for subtechnoids, but very well written. Kudos & thanks to the
author!
Fedora 9 & 10; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 3